The BookLove e-course
Travel through books with Rachel Hazell.
Design, write and make many books of your own on this hot-off-the-press e-course!
Over two weeks you’ll be immersed in a world of alphabets, libraries and bookart. Meet your inner wordsmith and bind two utterly personal hardback books.
BookLove will take you through the process of producing your own unique work from concept to completion. Together we’ll fill pages with colour and text. You’ll choose the paper, write the words and bind your books together, with Rachel’s expert advice and enthusiasm.
Whether you’re just starting out or already make bookart, this course will unfold fresh ideas, challenge your fears and stimulate new ways of working with this diverse art form.
“For twenty years I’ve been teaching bookbinding skills and the transformative power of paper and ink. I believe that everybody has a book inside them – whether they’re one liners or full of texture – and I travel the world to get them out.”
Join Rachel for a concentrated two weeks of exploration and discovery.
BookLove is a mix of imaginative projects presented via online videos and step-by-step instructions, with downloadable printouts. Share your knowledge and experience in a supportive group.
Revel in BookLove with an International like-minded community.
Engage with a range of absorbing techniques, from folding to stitching, describing and designing, to produce satisfying unique works and limited editions.
BookLove will liberate your creativity.
Join me for an adventure in bookart, anywhere in the world!
‘A top quality course, delivered very professionally with a carefully planned structure and excellent, abundant content… Overall, an excellent course of the highest standard.’ Laura, BookLove Participant, July 2017
WHAT FORMAT IS THE CLASS TAUGHT IN?
The class is taught using a combination of video tutorials and written instructions with step-by-step photographs. Everything is made available in a bespoke, password-protected private classroom. Each week there is a specific project and a handful of additional creative exercises in the course.
I’VE NEVER TAKEN AN ONLINE CLASS BEFORE. HOW DOES IT WORK? DO I NEED TO BE AT MY COMPUTER AT A CERTAIN TIME?
The course happens in a password-protected private classroom right here on this site. Over the course of sixteen days, while the class is live, posts will go up daily.
The beauty of an online course is that you can check in whenever you like and do not need to be online at a specific time as the content will be available 24/7, so it does not matter what time zone you are in. You can log on every day if you choose, or set aside some time once or twice a week to work through it. There will also be a private community space where you can connect with others and share images of your work.
You will have access to the classroom for six months after the end of class so you have plenty of time to go back through everything at your own pace. The community space will remain open indefinitely.
CAN I ASK RACHEL QUESTIONS DURING THE COURSE?
DO I NEED ANY PRIOR ART EXPERIENCE TO PARTICIPATE?
HOW MUCH TIME WILL THE CLASS TAKE?
Each week there is a series of exercises and a video tutorial detailing the week’s main project. Content varies from day to day but you will probably need ninety minutes daily for the exercises, then an additional two to three hours to watch the video tutorial and make the main project each week. In total the course takes about twenty hours. BookLove is a concentrated experience packed into sixteen days, leaving you with a wealth of techniques, ideas and plans for many more bookart projects.
I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME OF THE TIME THE CLASS IS RUNNING. DOES THIS MATTER?
Information on Materials
Throughout the course Rachel encourages you to use what you have around you. However, there are a few specialist papers and grey board that you will need to fully benefit from the course.
Terms & Conditions
By registering for BookLove: the e-course, please be aware you are agreeing to the following Terms & Conditions:
- You give permission for BookLove to use any images you submit for class gallery showcases to be used in any future class-related marketing or promotional strategies, online or offline. You will always be credited and will retain the rights to your work.
- You confirm that you are purchasing a single license for this course for your individual use only. To enquire about educational/corporate rates (for official groups of 10 or more) please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You acknowledge that course materials are not included in the cost of the course unless you have opted to purchase the BookLove kit. Even if you purchase the BookLove kit there are several other items that you will need to make the most of class. These are listed on the materials page.
- You acknowledge that all sales are final and no refunds will be given before, during or after class.
- You acknowledge that payment for class is due in GBP (British pounds). If your home currency is not GBP, Paypal will take the equivalent from your Paypal account at the prevailing Paypal exchange rate. Any approximate USD prices are only given as a guide.
- You acknowledge that the items provided in the class kit may differ slightly from those listed, depending on availability.
- You acknowledge that if you purchase the class kit this will be shipped to you in good time before the course, but we cannot accept responsibility for any items which get lost in the post. You also acknowledge that if you sign up very close to the class start date and purchase a kit, your kit might not arrive before class begins.
- You acknowledge that BookLove reserves the right to delete any inappropriate comments in the classroom or any of the class-related community spaces, in order to provide and maintain a supportive classroom environment.
- You give permission for your email address to be added to the mailing lists of Rachel Hazell. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Photography © Uli Schade